Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year Brunch


Despite a late night to ring in the New Year at a friend's party, with lots of champagne, I'm getting up early to prepare a very special brunch for my family.

To start, I'm making a simple lobster salad with boiled lobster, mixed with diced avocado and mango, in a wasabi-mayonaise sauce... deliciously fresh!

The main course is Panfried Foie Gras with Caramelized Apples and Fig sauce.

I cut the apples in thich slices and use a small round cookie cutter to core them. I dip both sides in brown sugar, then saute them over medium heat by turning them over often, til they are golden. I add a little Calvados and deglaze the pan.

For the sauce, I heat 3 tablespoons of fig jam with a little honey, and aged balsamic vinegar to taste.

In anticipation for the New Year, I had ordered a lobe of fresh foie gras and froze it in its original vacuum pack. I only need to defrost it overnight in the fridge. It's easier to slice it when it's very cold.
After sprinking salt and pepper on both sides of the gooseliver slices, I panfry them over high heat without any oil, for about 2 mn on each side, until they're well brown.

To serve, I arrange the gooseliver with the apples slices, fig sauce, and bread (or muffin) on a plate. To be enjoyed warm. It's sinfully rich and melts in your mouth...


No comments:

Post a Comment