Thursday, January 5, 2012

Braised Beef Short Ribs

I love my new Cuisinart pressure cooker!

After an intense day in the office, where I'm immersed in my work with my eyes glued to the computer screen to the point of forgetting to eat or drink, until the sun sets and I realize that I'm ravenously hungry. On the way home I stop by the market and found nice cuts of short ribs. Thanks to the pressure cooker, I could prepare a hearty stew for my family in less than an hour, with falling-off-the-bone tender meat.

I simply put the beef short ribs in the pressure cooker with a chopped onion and a few cloves of garlic, about a cup and half of red wine, some coarse sea salt, pepper and sugar, worcestershire sauce, sliced baby potatoes, crushed tomatoes and a sprinkle of thyme. I close the valve and set on high pressure for about 40 mn. When ready, I release the pressure and carefully open the lid and skim the fat that has risen to the surface.  After tasting and adjusting the seasoning, I serve it with home baked Irish oat bread and a simple green salad.

This is a rustic stew, perfect for a winter night family dinner, and much less time consuming than Boeuf Bourguignon which I also enjoy making from scratch for more special occasions.


No comments:

Post a Comment