Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Salade Gourmande with Seared Foie Gras



A few friends have asked me where to get the fresh foie gras in the US. There are a couple of websites specialized in fine gourmet food but I get my foie gras from www.hudsonvalleyfarm.com because they offer top grade award-winning foie gras and their ducks are free range. By the way, I also received a complimentary pack of duck breast bacon with the foie gras order.

Apparently California will ban sale of foie gras from July 2012. Anyhow, fresh foie gras is an indulgence that should be enjoyed only once in a while, and it's so rich that a small portion would be really satisfying. A lobe of foie gras could be made into a couple of meals for 4 or 5. I have used part of the foie gras for the new year's brunch and froze the rest for today's dinner.

 This is my version of "Salade Gourmande" with a bed of red and butter lettuce, asparagus, caramelized apple slices, candied walnuts for some crunch, panfried thin duck breast bacon and seared fresh foie gras, served with a vinaigrette dressing (a teaspoon of lemon juice, a teaspoon of vinegar, fresh tarragon and 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste). 

It's so sinfully delicious!

1 comment:

  1. great dish, Caroline try this company for the foie next time www.bellabellagourmet.com/.

    ReplyDelete