Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Stewed Duck Noodle Soup


For Christmas I hinted to my family that any kitchen appliance would be warmly welcome...
Actually I ended up getting more golf accessories - no complaints there - but I did get this wonderful pressure cooker which also doubles up as crockpot and saute pan...

Today, I'm trying out my new pressure cooker. First I marinade the duck legs with some soy sauce, then I fry them in a little hot oil just to brown the skin. The duck legs are placed inside the pressure cooker and I fill with water to cover them. Then I add a couple of star anises, 1 cinnamon stick, 4 pcs of licorice root, 2 pinches of tangerine peel, 1 clove, 1 tablespoon of Chinese cooking wine, 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce,  1/2 teaspoon of salt, 3 pieces of palm sugar, fresh shitake mushrooms. I carefully close the pressure cooker cover and turn the valve, and set on high pressure for 30 mn.

Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan I boil some water, then add fresh egg noodles and washed vegetable (such as Chinese spinach or Chinese broccoli) and blanch for about 10 seconds. Then I drain both the noodles and vegetable and rinse with cold water, and arrange them in soup bowls.

When time is up, I release the steam from the pressure cooker before opening it, I taste the broth and adjust the seasoning, and it's just perfect!  I arrange the tender stewed duck leg on the bed of noodles and vegetable, add the hot soup, and sprinkle with spring onions... A perfect and satisfying dish for winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment