Saturday, December 17, 2011

Roasted Deboned Duck Stuffed with Sticky Rice

First, my sister taught me how to debone a chicken, (warning: this is not for squirmish people). Once I get the hang of it, I graduated to deboning a duck which is much harder and time consuming, in my humble opinion.

For the stuffing, I use about 4 cups of sticky rice, 3 pan fried and sliced Chinese sausages, sliced sauteed shitake mushrooms, and mix everything together and season with some Maggi sauce. Lastly, I add a cup of frozen edamame beans, and mix well. The edamame beans add some green color and crunch to the stuffing.

I carefully scoop the stuffing into the deboned duck until filled up, then I saw the duck opening together (using a light brown thread to match the color of the roasted skin), then I truss it with kitchen thread, tucking the wing tips and legs neatly under. Then I rub the duck skin with dark soy sauce, and put it in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F, and roast for about an hour and half. When ready to serve, I remove the trussing.

This dish is pretty labor intensive but is a real delicacy, and can be served warm or at room temperature. It's delicious and rich on its own, or you can add a dipping sauce. I prepared mine with plum sauce and soy sauce, and added some chopped cucumbers for crunch and minced coriander leaves.





No comments:

Post a Comment