Friday, October 7, 2011

Char Siu Low Mien


When we just want to curl up on the sofa and have a "TV Meal", I like to prepare an easy simple dish.

First I marinade the pork meat (for example pork butt is a good cut for this dish) with hoisin sauce, soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, then I put the meat in a preheated over to 350 degrees for about 30 mn, then I turn the pieces over for another 30 mn. Then I set the oven to broil or roast at 500 degrees, and golden brown (about 5 mn). Then the pork is thinly sliced. I like to make char siu at home as it's less greasy and salty than the store bought kind.

In the meantime, I blanch the rinsed and cut green vegetable (pak choy, Chinese broccoli or any green veggies) for about 10 seconds, then I add the egg noodles in the same pot of boiling water for about 10 seconds. Then I drain the noodles and vegetable and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. I add a little oil in the same pan (after wiping it dry), and fry a minced shallot and a minced garlic, I add sliced shitake mushrooms and add a little soy sauce with a sprinkling of brown sugar and sautee for about 3 minutes. Then I add back the noodles and vegetables and stir to heat through.

To serve the noodles with the sliced char siu (roast pork).  It's a popular dish at home and usually everybody gets a second - or third - helping!

No comments:

Post a Comment